St Elizabeth Technical High (STETHS) staged an incredible fightback, scoring two times in two minutes late in the game to complete a brilliant comeback to beat 2014 finalists Holy Trinity 4-3 in their first-round Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association/Flow Super Cup game at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

Javoney Brown scored twice, including the winner in the 85th minute, as the daCosta Cup champions STETHS came from behind three times to deny the Manning Cup team and advance to the quarter-finals where they will face another Manning Cup team, Bridgeport High.

Demar James and Rujay Robinson also scored for STETHS after Rojae Welch, Shai Smith and substitute Dante Green had given Holy Trinity the lead each time.

Omar “Rambo” Wedderburn, the STETHS coach, said the result showed the “character” of his team and said it pointed to “great things to come”, and it shows “we have what it takes”.

He said, however, their focus remains on the daCosta Cup, which he said “is our main objective every season”.

Devon Anderson, the Holy Trinity coach, was stunned by the quick turnaround of fortunes and blamed goalkeeper Antonio Millington, for three of the goals they conceded.

“My players played very hard tonight, they worked hard,” he said.

After coming close in the first minute of the game, Holy Trinity shocked the large group of STETHS supporters in the seventh minute when Welch rammed home his own rebound that came back off the left upright, reacting quicker than the STETHS defenders.

Brown levelled the scores in the 11th minute with his first shot of the game, beating Millington from inside the six-yard box.

Smith restored his team’s lead in the 28th minute when he danced through the STETHS defence on the right side of the 18-yard box, then moved the ball to his left foot before powering it into the near corner of the goal.

James restored parity in the 34th minute when he coolly lobbed Millington, who was stranded midway his area, as the teams went into the break tied at 2-2.

STETHS appeared to be taking the initiative in the second half as a number of the Holy Trinity players suffered cramps, but it was the Manning Cup team that struck first when Green, who had replaced Karim Brown in the 59th minute, gave his team the lead again by beating the STETHS ‘keeper Lenroy Wallace in the 68th minute.

Danray Miller, who came on for STETHS, came close to drawing his team level in the 75th minute when he beat two defenders on the right wing, but his cross flew across the area before any of his teammates could connect.

STETHS finally drew level in the 83rd minute when Robinson’s corner beat everybody and flew into the far corner of the goal to restore hope to the 2014 semi-finalists.

STETHS then took the lead for the first time and for good when Brown powered his way through the Holy Trinity defence and beat Millington with a shot into the far right corner.

Share This:

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: